The museum offers a journey through 500 years of history of the images, seeing the background and origins of cinema, as a technique and as a visual spectacle, as well as knowing the beginnings of the seventh art until the arrival of television.
The Tomàs Mallol Cinema-Collection Museum is a permanent, non-profit institution, open to the public as a space for scientific, cultural and recreational participation of citizens, and at the service of society and its development.
Its origin is found in the acquisition of the Tomás Mallol Collection of cinematographic and precinematographic objects by the City of Girona on January 28, 1994; and is located in the former headquarters of the city’s water company, a building from the late nineteenth century known as “House of Waters.”
It aims to become a center of revitalization of the world of cinema and visual shows, thanks to a continuous programming of activities and services that allow interaction with the visitor, aimed at a very wide audience, local, national and international.
Its mission is to favor the understanding and knowledge of the history of the moving image and of the cinema through the conservation, investigation, interpretation and exhibition of various collections, whose objects explain how the images were represented before the cinema and what was the technical process that led to the invention of the cinematograph in 1895.